Kabul Airport Attack Kills 12 U.S. Service Members, at Least 60 Afghans
Escrito por Pedro Mejia el agosto 26, 2021
At least 60 Afghans and 12 U.S. service members were killed at the Kabul airport Thursday when two blasts ripped through crowds trying to enter the American-controlled facility, disrupting the final push of the U.S.-led evacuation effort.
A suicide bomb attack at the airport’s Abbey Gate was followed by an assault by gunmen, officials said. Another bomb attack took place nearby, at a hotel outside the airport, officials said. Fifteen U.S. service members were injured, the Pentagon said.
The attack on U.S. personnel marked the deadliest day for the U.S. military in Afghanistan since 2011. U.S. officials attributed the attacks to Islamic State’s regional affiliate. Islamic State claimed responsibility in a report posted by its Amaq news agency.
President Biden is set to speak about Afghanistan at 5 p.m. Thursday following the explosions, the White House said.
The U.S. plans to continue with its evacuation of U.S. citizens and allied Afghans, Marine Corps Gen. Frank McKenzie, commander of U.S. Central Command, told reporters Thursday. He said the U.S. estimates that around 1,000 Americans remain in Afghanistan.
“We expect those attacks to continue,” Gen. McKenzie said, referring to suicide bombings.
The Taliban, who seized Kabul on Aug. 15, are a sworn enemy of Islamic State, and shot dead one of the group’s top leaders in Afghanistan hours after taking over the Kabul prison where he was held.
Gen. McKenzie said the U.S. would continue to coordinate with the Taliban on security outside the airport gates, sometimes sharing information with the militant group. He said the group’s fighters had been searching individuals en route the airport, and that he didn’t know how a suicide bomber was able to get through Taliban checkpoints, acknowledging a “failure” somewhere.
“If we can find who is associated with this, we will go after them,” Gen. McKenzie said.
The American deaths on Thursday were the first U.S. military combat fatalities in Afghanistan since February 2020, when the Trump administration and the Taliban signed an agreement on withdrawing American troops.
Mr. Biden was briefed by his national security team about the incidents on Thursday morning in the White House’s Situation Room and continued to receive updates, officials said. He spent much of the day in the Oval Office, one of the officials said.
At the time of the attack, approaches to the airport’s gates were packed by thousands of Afghans. Western governments had warned earlier Thursday of an imminent attack by Islamic State’s regional affiliate.
The U.S. believes that a suicide bomber detonated at the front of the gate as he was attempting to get onto the airport compound, Gen. McKenzie said.
“We will try to improve our procedures,” he said. But Gen. McKenzie said the U.S. would continue evacuating civilians. “We have to continue to let people on the airfield,” he said.
A senior Afghan health official put the death toll among Afghan civilians at 60, with many more fighting for their lives.
Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said in a message: “We strongly condemn this gruesome incident and will take every step to bring the culprits to justice.”
Thursday’s bombings were the first major security incidents since the Taliban took power in Kabul and began dismantling the blast barriers and other security installations that had been erected to thwart insurgent attacks during the two decades of American military presence.
“People were very optimistic that the Taliban are now providing security for us and that there will be no more suicide attacks. But, sadly, it happened,” said an Afghan woman who was near the site of one of the explosions.
Footage from the sites of the attack showed multiple bodies, and bloodied, maimed survivors being transported away in wheelbarrows.
An Afghan man who was attempting for the fifth time to get into the airport and get on one of the evacuation planes was standing in the crowd outside Abbey Gate when the detonation took place. “A lot of people got hurt,” he said by phone. “I helped a little girl. I think she died.”
Separately, Italy said that its C-130 aircraft filled with Afghan refugees came under fire at takeoff on Thursday, but wasn’t damaged. An Italian reporter aboard the plane said the pilot had to take evasive action.
Thursday’s explosions came after several of America’s allies said they were halting evacuation flights from Afghanistan, leaving behind citizens and thousands of Afghans who had been cleared for entry. Airlift opportunities began disappearing amid warnings of an imminent terrorist attack, and as the U.S. began winding down operations in Kabul ahead of the Aug. 31 withdrawal deadline.
The carnage is a direct challenge to the Taliban’s boasts of having re-established peace in Afghanistan. Islamic State has “an interest in exposing the Taliban as incompetent,” said Tore Hamming, a nonresident fellow at the London-based International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation. “This is a battle for authority. Both groups say that their emirs are the leaders of the global Muslim community. They cannot coexist.”
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a tweet that Thursday’s attacks “took place in an area where U.S. forces are responsible for security.”
The Taliban and Islamic State have fought each other in Afghanistan since 2015, particularly in the eastern part of the country. As recently as Tuesday, Mr. Shaheen, the Taliban spokesman, told Iranian state media that Islamic State no longer existed in Afghanistan.
The window for evacuation flights is rapidly shutting down ahead of the U.S. military withdrawal that Mr. Biden directed to be completed by Aug. 31. Thousands of Western citizens and permanent residents are still stranded in Afghanistan, and many fear that they will now be abandoned to face possible Taliban retribution.
Bismillah, a green-card holder residing in Sacramento, Calif., said he traveled to the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif to visit his parents on Aug. 3 with his wife, also a U.S. permanent resident, and their 8-month-old son, a U.S. citizen. The family made their way to Kabul as the Afghan government collapsed on Aug. 15, but Bismillah, who declined to provide his last name, said he feared that his baby would be crushed to death in the crowds and didn’t try to reach the airport.
“I feel like we are going to be left behind. I don’t know what is going to happen next week—you cannot forecast even one day about what will happen in Afghanistan,” said Bismillah, who worked for Amazon.com Inc. in California and is currently in Mazar-e-Sharif. “We are really worried about ourselves.”
Since Aug. 14, the day before the Taliban took control of Kabul, the U.S. has evacuated and facilitated the evacuation of approximately 95,700 people from Afghanistan, the White House said. In the 24 hours ending at 3 a.m. ET Thursday, about 13,400 people were evacuated, approximately 5,100 of them on U.S. military flights, it said.
French President Emmanuel Macron said after Thursday’s explosion that France would continue to evacuate people “as long as we can, as long as the conditions enable us to do so at the airport.” Twenty buses with French citizens and Afghans were waiting to enter the airport, he added.
The Dutch Defense Ministry said in a letter Thursday morning to parliament that it would stop flight operations by the end of the day, hoping to evacuate several hundred people already inside the airport, with diplomatic staff and Dutch troops departing on the final flight. The ministry added that it was no longer able to assist its citizens and eligible Afghans in accessing the airport.
“This is a painful moment because it means that despite all the great efforts of the past period, people who are eligible for evacuation to the Netherlands will be left behind,” the letter said. Those include Dutch citizens and Afghans who had worked with Dutch forces deployed as part of the U.S.-led coalition.
Poland, which has flown more than 900 Afghan citizens since the fall of Kabul, said it was also ending its evacuation program following decisions made by its allies, the U.S. and the U.K. “The situation is difficult, it is even dramatic, and more and more difficult with each hour,” Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said Thursday.
The Italian Defense Ministry said its last flight would leave Kabul on Thursday night. Canada, too, said it had ended its evacuation effort.
Write to Yaroslav Trofimov at email@example.com, Nancy A. Youssef at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sune Engel Rasmussen at email@example.com